Thursday 26 April 2007

Geronimo

According to the email from Film Images, I'm "welcome to spend the day with them", which is, by my calculation, seven hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone for "Apaches" and "Fireworks Safety - Parents"? Got to get my absent - minded personal tutor to actually sign the letter for me first, then I can make an appointment, preferably for next week (I hope.)

Meanwhile, Applemask has come up trumps again with this gem of a PIF from 1989: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G9yyD4qrGg. I first saw it at one of the BFI's screenings in September/October to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the COI, though I can't remember which one. This Health Education Authority campaign introduced us to octogenarian Fred Brewster, who assures the viewers that kids today don't know they're born - because back in his day, condoms were reusable. And he called his willy wallpaper "Geronimo". Riiiiiiiiiight! Then he goes on to tell us that he had to wash, dry and powder it with chalk after each shag, and that wearing it was "like having a bath with your socks on." Er, thanks, Mr B. That was a bit more than we wanted to know. I'll never find out whether my own grandad (who will be 79 this year) had a "Geronimo", because I would rather cover myself in honey and leap naked into the bear pit at Whipsnade Zoo than ask about it. But, in the words of Applemask, this IS a groovy PIF - "if you can get past the fact that it's an old man talking about his condom." I've got both "Don't Die of Ignorance" AIDS films, with voiceover by John Hurt, on my wish list for next week.

And just in case you weren't aware of the many adverse consequences of failing to wear a condom, this PIF from Belgium will leave you in no doubt about one of them: http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/animation/1146/

No comments: