Thursday 12 April 2007

The moment you've been waiting for

I've spoken to the powers that be at Film Images, and this is what they've said:

- I'm allowed to hotlink to other sites where COI material is hosted, including YouTube and the National Archives site. They have considered action for copyright infringement against YouTube but they're not going to do anything about it at the moment because of all the big film studios and record labels etc. etc. prosecuting left, right and centre.

- Charley Says volume Three may be in the works. Network Video (the company which released the first two) has nothing about it on their website, so we're in for another long wait, if it happens at all. It took long enough to get the second one off the ground.

- They will allow me to purchase some of their footage and it'll cost £94. This includes VAT, viewing charge and the expense of them making up a VHS for me. I am not allowed to upload the footage to this site but I can write about the content and production details, etc. on here. I am a student and that figure makes me go white in the face, so it's back to the old student standby, ie. going cap in hand to my parents for the money.

- The nice man also gave me contact details for two companies where you can apparently purchase full - length PIFs. I get the feeling he meant things like the RAF training videos and other such films that the COI produces, but they'd still be interesting to see. Must look into this.

More details as I get them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If there is a volume three, I hope it concentrates more on the eighties and nineties. They seemed awfully reluctant to do that with volume II, hence all the filler with the ten minute rambler's guide films.

Reginald Molehusband said...

And the barely audible three - second black and white ones in Spanish. Yeah, I hope if Charley 3 gets off the ground it'll be a good one. Copyright wrangles are hard, but surely they can come up with a bit better material next time round.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see some of the longer PIFs such as "Apaches" and "Building Sites Bite", along with the mini-horrors from the 70s/80s.

I'd also like to see you cover some of the longer PIFs here....:b

Reginald Molehusband said...

OK, I'll have a go! My uni gives me access to the BFI site via Athens, so I should be able to see The Finishing Line. That'd be a start, but I'll see how I can get hold of some others ;)

Anonymous said...

Pretty crap that COI are going to go after youtube. I personally have uploaded a metric ton of old DETR-era PIFs, and I think that considering how they are dished out free of charge to broadcasters, they shouldn't feel bad about people seeing them online. It's all spreading the message, isnt it?